Hello there! I’ve done a lot of ‘issue’ posts of late and gained a few of you lovely folks but I realise I’ve never done a proper introduction. So, who the bloody hell am I?
The Dull Stuff:
- My name’s Rebecca (Becky, Becca, B).
- I’m 26 (birthday’s in July. Start saving up for presents…😝).
- I’m a freelance proof-reader / YA and script writer. Which is code for ‘I have no money’. If you want me to proof-read/edit/copywrite anything for you, let me know!
- I live in Cornwall, UK, but was born in Plymouth so I’m technically from Devon (ohh scandal!).
The Unusual Stuff:
- I’m a twin, older by sixteen minutes, but alas non-identical.
- I’ve written a dark fantasy novel based on the Tristan and Isolde legend. I’m ridiculously proud of it.
- I was a finalist for the Wicked Young Writers’ Award in 2012, judged by Michael Morpurgo, and got to stand on the Wicked West End stage with the cast. It was awesome. I’ve since met Michael Morpurgo again on my own and he was so nice.
- I’m a massive fan of Harry Potter. Seriously, I sat up all night reading the last book and had a massive party when the last film came out. I even made a corner of the dining area into Honeydukes, complete with Fever Fudge and sherbet lemons. Yes, I wore a cloak, and yes I did hang candles from the ceiling with invisible thread.
- I was longlisted for the Mslexia Novel Competition in 2017.
- In 2012 I worked on a summer camp in Hunter, New York, and we befriended a bear. He was called Pip Pip Winnie and I think about him often.
- I went to university in Aberystwyth and it was awesome.
- Movies – Forrest Gump, Titanic, Billy Elliot, Goodnight Mr. Tom, Testament of Youth, Harry Potter.
- TV shows – The Great British Bake Off, Nashville, Smash, many random history documentaries and things about serial killers (well…the olden day kings were basically serial killers so they’re one and the same).
- Books – Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue, Oliver Twist, anything about Wilfred Owen (in particular the biography by Jon Stallworthy).
- City – Edinburgh.
- Country I’ve travelled to – Italy (for the food), Austria (for the scenery), Australia (for the people).
- Food – Pasta, pizza, biscuits with a nice cuppa (not at the same time!).
- Animal – Quokka.
- Hobbies – Hiking, cooking, baking, writing (obvs), reading (obvs), crafting (although I’m not massively good at it. I like to do DIY and stuff with my hands), travelling.
So…yeah. I’m a fairly eclectic person, really. If there’s anything else you’d like to know feel free to ask in the comments below. And don’t forget to introduce yourselves!
As always, if you’re able to help a penniless writer feel free to donate to my ko-fi page via the button in the sidebar (unless your name’s Gaynor, lol! You’ve done enough for me as is <3.)
Anyway, to conclude have an old picture of me on a broom…